Projects on My Plate

  • Veda's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Pencil Skirt
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Wardrobe re-do
  • Floral Skirt for Mommy
  • Breck's Bedding
  • Sienna and Veda's Bedding
  • Apron

Monday, September 20, 2010

Halloween Pumpkins

I got this idea initially from a set of mercury glass pumpkins from Pottery Barn, but as I was executing this idea, I felt more inspired by these glittered pumpkins from Martha Stewart.

I love the feel of these, and I love playing up the blacks and greys around Halloween instead of orange. I feel like you can play up orange in September, then November, but Halloween should be different!

To make these, you will need:


Fake Pumpkin(s) - I got mine from a craft store after Thanksgiving. Can someone give me a one-dolla-holla?!? *okay, I'm done acting 12*...moving on...
Acrylic Paint in Grey and Black - I would go with a light to medium grey
Glitter Glue- also a dollar at the dollar store
Paintbrush
Mod Podge

Optional: Any embellishments - I used wire around mine

Step One:

Take a picture of your pretty fall pumpkins. It's the last time they'll look nice and friendly...their pre-Addams family stage.


Just kidding. Go ahead and lather your pumpkins with grey paint. You'll probably need 2-3 coats.

Step 2:

*PLEASE wait until paint is dry! It makes it so much easier!*

Paint the stems black. Let dry.

Step 3:

Brush Glitter glue over the entire pumpkin, including stems. Let Dry.

Step 4:

Mod-Podge over the top of entire pumpkin to seal in glitter, paint, and to give it a finished look.


Step 5:

Embellish as desired. I wrapped wire around each pumpkin several times, then cut off little pieces of wire and did little "twisty ties" around the wire every so often to give it a barb wire feel.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

They look so good! I have some extra little fake pumpkins sitting around and now I know what to do with them!

Kelsee said...

Those are super cute!!!!! -Kelsee

Kim said...

these look awesome!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin