Projects on My Plate

  • Veda's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Pencil Skirt
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Wardrobe re-do
  • Floral Skirt for Mommy
  • Breck's Bedding
  • Sienna and Veda's Bedding
  • Apron

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sienna's Shaggy Raggy Rug (For Reals this time)

This is my 3rd shaggy raggy rug to date, of many more, I'm sure. I enjoy making these, and I think they are just so darn cute! Since my other two rugs I have posted on here are my 1st and 4th posts, I wasn't as good at posting instructions in a clear manner, so I will post a better tutorial now.

What you need:

-7 1/2 yards of fabric (I suggest quilting solids, or light-weight cotton material of any type)
-about 3/4 yard of rug canvas (at most fabric stores, though JoAnn discontinued it)
-scissors
-patience

Step One:
Lay your fabric out and cut strips length-wise that are about 5-6 inches wide.



Step Two:
Once you have a bunch of long strips (all 5-6 inches wide), start cutting those strips along the width, about 3/4 to 1 inch wide. You should have a bunch of tiny strips that are all about 1 inch by 5 inches (approx.).



Step Three:
Cut your rug canvas to size. It should be about 100 squares by 70 squares. If you want a bigger rug, you may need a little more fabric.

Step Four:
Start tying them onto the rug as pictured. A single tie will do, you don't need to double knot or anything. There should be a space in between each tie, and each tie will occupy a hole from two rows. Thus, there will actually be only 50 rows that you are tying, with 35 ties per row.



You can see that each tie occupies two rows of squares. They are staggered with each new row.

Step 5:
Repeat rows, tying the strips into the opposite holes as the previous row, to create a staggered look. This will help it look more filled in.

Repeat this until rug is finished.





For different designs, refer to previous posts about the rugs. For this rug, I made the pink border first, then filled in the brown around it. I used about a yard of pink, and 6 1/2 yards of tan.

15 comments:

Suzi Q said...

I love love love these and have wanted to do one but it seems like a royal pain. Is it that bad?

Jane said...

I have never seen this before! How awesome! Pretty simple too. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Erika and Jason said...

I really want to make one but know where do I get the rug canvas? I think it would be so cute in Ethan's room.

serpil said...

I almost did the same thing for my ex bag :) I love your rug, and its colours too :) Have a look at my bag: www.koketh.blogspot.com.

Della Pezzente said...

We saw one of these in a store and the lady said it was washable. Have you tried washing yours? I am wondering if it would fray the edges and completely wreck the rug?

The Cornett Family said...

Hi Della! I wouldn't stick it in the washer. I probably wouldn't worry about the fabric so much, it frays a tiny bit on it's own, which sort of "sets" the rest of the strip into place, but I would worry about the Rug canvas. The rug canvas can come apart easily if messed with too much. I just wish the made rug canvas in plastic!!! Then I would totally trust to wash it. We just spot clean ours.

Armywifey055 said...

So im using jersey cotton that i bought in yards and cut into strips. Im running into the problem of the strips rolling up on themselves after i tie them, so the rug is not full. Any suggestions?

The Cornett Family said...

@ Armywifey055 - The only solutions I can think of are:

1. Tie knots in every set of two holes in each row, instead of every other set of two holes. This will take more fabric, but it should thicken up nicely.

2. Cut your strips wider, so when they roll, It will be thicker

3. Try integrating another fabric in with it. It would look different, but probably unique and cute. Just fill them in evenly until it starts looking full enough.

I hope this helps, I never thought about that being an issue with the jersey before, I may make a note of it in the post. Good luck with it!

iconrugs said...

I have no thoughts for this creativity. I love this too. You shared step by step, it's a good thing. I'll definitely follow this. Because I want make shaggy rugs.

{Spaghetti*Brain} said...

Wow, I couldn't find anyone who made shaggy rag rugs until my friend showed me this page. I love making things from scratch, but more often than not, I don't have the money to buy supplies for every project, so I figured out how to make a rug without canvas :D , though, I doubt it's as sturdy. :\

Unknown said...

Thumbs up guys your doing a really good job.country braided rugs

Nancy said...

Love these shag rag rugs, started on my third one this morning.

Unknown said...

About how long did it take to make one of these rugs?

The Cornett Family said...

@Victoria

It depends on how much free time you have. They do take awhile, but I would sit down and work on them while my kids slept every day for about 3 days. Give or take. It may take a little longer while getting started, but once you get in the groove, you'll be surprised at how much faster it seems to go.

SERAFINA said...

I believe there's a special kind of glue or whatever is called to put on the back to help anchor the knots and seal everything

Blog Widget by LinkWithin