Projects on My Plate

  • Veda's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Pencil Skirt
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Wardrobe re-do
  • Floral Skirt for Mommy
  • Breck's Bedding
  • Sienna and Veda's Bedding
  • Apron

Friday, February 19, 2010

Lamp Cord Cover

Photo courtesy of Ballard Designs

I saw this idea in Ballard Design's catalog, and really wanted them. Except for the fact that they are 30 dollars a piece. I made mine with under half a yard of fabric for about 2 dollars. Right on. Here's how:

What You Need:
1/2 yard of fabric
Scissors
Sewing Machine

Step 1:
Measure your cord. You want your cord cover to be at least 2 times the length.

Step 2:
lay out your fabric and cut out several strips of fabric that are about 3-4 inches (or just big enough to allow the end of the cord to feed through, plus hem allowance) wide. My cord measured about one and a half of these strips, so I cut three strips to make twice the amount. If I were to do it again, I would probably do closer to 3 times, but it still looks nice and uses less fabric when you use twice.


Step 3: Attach your strip together by sewing.

Step 4: Hem the ends BEFORE you sew it in a loop.


Step 5: Sew in half length-wise (wrong side of fabric facing out) and reinforce hem.
Step 6: Now all you need to do, is turn it inside out (to reveal the right side of the fabric), feed the cord through it, and you're set with a very classy looking lamp cord! Yahoo!





Love,

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Super simple but with a big impact. I bet these were satisfying...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin